Writer’s Reflection

Sandra Roper

Professor Kristine Slentz

English 2300

May 16, 2022

Writer’s Reflection

When I first signed up for the Writing for Science English class, I assumed that it would be a class specifically designed around the science courses. I assumed that there would be teachings about how to write lab reports and how to conduct scientific research. I found out from day one that this was not the case. This class has helped me to open my mind to different techniques that I had not learned previously in any of my other English classes. Such techniques like how to write several drafts of an essay, receiving peer review and feedback on them, and the different techniques of rhetoric writing.

At the beginning of the class, I found some difficulty in formulating my thoughts to write the different kinds of essays required of the class. I had learned throughout class how to develop a plan and tackle it to accomplish the writing assignment. Learning different research techniques by using the online resources from the CCNY library has helped with conducting research. Feedback from my peers and Professor Slentz was also important in my development progress.  It provided me with helpful tips and pointers to use so that I can improve and receive the best grade for the required assignments. Writing the rhetorical assignment posed a difficulty for me. I received feedback on my first draft indicating that I did not address the key points of the assignment including discussing the author’s rhetorical situation. When I asked for more clarification from Professor Slentz on what was required, I took the feedback and transported it into a successful paper.

This class has allowed me to reflect and enhance my writing skills. It also helped me to realize that when I am writing an essay or assignment to take in factors such as the audience that will read my writing and the tone that it conveys. The different techniques that I developed in this class will be helpful to be successful throughout my studies in college.